Tuesday, August 10, 2010

January 29, 1947

January 29, 1947
Wednesday evening

“Of who do the kings of the
earth take custom or tribute?
Of their own children, or of
strangers? Peter saith unto Him,
of strangers. Jesus saith unto
Him, Then the children are free.”

Dear Mom,
In a way, I’m very ashamed of myself for the rate I’ve gone through Matthew and then I’m glad I did meditate but the above from Matthew 17:25,26 sure came into my heart when I was waiting for chow this noon. Maybe I’ve taken it wrong but the dent it made made joy overwhelming because it told me further the strangers to Christ are going to pay a price when they enter into His lad but His children enter in, free! I certainly pray my God that my hunger for His Word might increase because there are surely alot of unbeared treasures awaiting my discoveries. I’d know how to overcome things too- how to pray and really be victorious in Christ. I forgive myself too many times.

This book, “In His Presence” is surely an inspiration for sincere prayer and a good “check-off” list too! I’m just beginning to see how so many of my prayers have fallen short, not because of my hearer, but of my own faith and frankness which was mightily lacking. I still am thankful for Christ who makes intercession for my prayers that I might be understood.

Day by day, amidst my weakness and shortcomings God is blessing me continually. First, it was an eye opener to Joe and I to hear of the future disposal of Navigators here and how we’d started absorbing all the blessing and had passed none of it on. Believe me, it popped our pride out and we crawled to the Lord. I’m still not humble and lowly enough but God willing I’ll come to Him contritely for I have cast Him aside. If Norm goes, Joe is going to try and buy the house (He’s to be discharged in July.) and keep organized through Daws in L.A. The Lord will work that part out. Our task is to get boy’s into the Home again. Why! There used to be twenty or thirty here and now we’re happy with five!

So campaign begins, and, first off comes another wonderful Youth for Christ program and we get about three or four new mates. At least we had a crowded house that night! I’d dropped almost completely Chaplain Andrew’s Bible Class and so at last I’m on the road to making signs and telling everyone I can about it. Joe’s starting one up at Mainside and we’re both going to go over to the Hospitale where Chaplain Menges (I hear he’s really on fire!) is considering starting one up! Boy, someone’s going to hear of the Lord Jesus Christ and the Lord willing through whom and how, men, and women, are going to be saved! Then, comes the invitation, “Come to Navigators!” Oh Mom! Praise the Lord and pray for us. Satan’s busy trying to cool the flames down but this time Jesus is going to be the victor! I’m holding fast to Christ and looking up and leaning on His power to guide and strengthen me. Jesus lives and God grant it this Base swerves to the Lord.

Just to show you prayer goes not long unanswered both Chaplains Andrews and Stevenson gave Gospel’s sermons. Just a little bit more prayer, and a little bit more Gospel and there’ll be Salvation preached. People, of the world like my friends back home, if they knew my real thoughts, I’d be a fool to them! It’s fun to be a fool for Christ- did you ever read 1 Corinthians, first chapter! Do it!

A pastor from out at the Baptist Temple a Dr. Harris (an author) is preaching or I should say teaching on the book of Romans. Say! Isn’t that a treasure chest? That fellow out there can sure make the division line clear between a sinner and a Christian! For example! He has two chairs- the first, the seat God put man in after Adam had sinned and because we had all sinned, death passed on us too (Romans 5:12) That man was subject to law and love but it was a case where only a Lamb’s blood sacrificed could forgive. He had no control over sin and fleshly desires and what he shouldn’t do, he did. God saw the wretched state (Romans 7) man was in. He gave His only son to die in pain and misery, to shed His blood as the Lamb for the forgiveness of those who believed honestly that this was done for them. (Romans 8) Now, God has taken that blood and in our accepting His love our sin is covered so God can’t see it and won’t he hindered from working further wonders in our life.

Today, stand two chairs, the same wondrous gift is offered to both, one accepted, one refused. One is “saved” for eternal life, the other is destined for Hell and it’s utmost depths and everlasting misery. I could never explain it as He did but the distinction was so marvelous.

I went over to Witty’s church (pastor of the church this speaker’s at) Sunday after Capworth League at Hendrick’s Memorial Church (Methodist) and their evening service which was “No Greater Power,” a film on Luke 19: 1-10. It was good except for some unrealistic parts. They always get out rather early so Annabelle (one of my buddies girls) and I went over and heard this Harris. The Lord touched another Marine Student of mine. The Lord’s sure wonderful, isn’t He?

There are thirty Wheaton girls holding services at a local Baptist Church tonight that I’d sure like to see, but my duty is Bible Class tonight and some down to earth and up from God Bible study which I nearly forgot in my anticipation. I hope I get to hear this teacher once more. I could have last night only I started writing to Jordan. Well, the Lord will provide if He sees fit! That’s for sure.

You ask why I send so much money home and recall please you sent me by telegram $15 and $25 and when I left home, $25 again. Also, when contemplating my trip home I told you I’d paid so little of the two hundred from last summer, if any, I couldn’t allow you to buy my whole ticket home so gradually I intend to keep sending bit by bit one hundred to ease my concience mainly. Now, don’t you two pull any shennanigans! I owe it to you and it is yours! in your bank account. After we hit that mark, then “recuperate” mine. Please?!

How do you like to write letters in the morning? I enjoy it! Excuse my delay in writing, it’s cause I was waiting for your letter.

I’m glad you enjoy C.L. +T. I surely do, what little I can catch! I’ll ask Norm what you mentioned about Talbot’s sermon.

Tell Edna I’ll write soon. I’m behind mine letters! I’m glad Jason’s squared away. If it wasn’t the Lord’s will; it’ll be shown.

Hi Dad!
Class is soon and I have to shower and eat.
May our Lord’s love shine bright in you each day,

Your son,
Stephen
Rom. 3:24

No comments:

Post a Comment