Tuesday, August 10, 2010

February 16, 1947

February 16, 1947
Sunday afternoon

Dear Dad,
“But God chose the foolish things of the world, that He might put to shame them that are wise; and God chose the weak things of the world, that He might put to shame the things that are strong; and the base things of the world, and the things that are despised, did God choose, ye and the things that are not, that He might bring to nought the things that are: that no flesh should glory before God.”
1 Corinthians 1: 27-29

You know, when God chose me to love and serve Him, He didn’t pick me because I had the brains and wisdom of the world about me and knew the score on all things! In fact, it was more the opposite in my case! He didn’t take me because I was some big bolting, husky guy who could wrestle with grizzly bears and win. No! definitely not so, because I probably would turn tail at the first signs! Nope! It isn’t the best that God chooses and it is usually the opposite in most of His choices. Saint Paul makes that very clear as He talks to the Corinthians. God takes a broken and contrite spirit, and that is the only kind! Even I, who has not yet really learned the true humility that He would have me to have and the willingness to help others out in their daily trials and tasks, could never be received into the gracious Father’s Kingdom until I realized how little I actually was! God wants little men so He can make them big men-----He wants us like little Babes, as Jesus says in Matthew 18:3, “Verily I say unto you, Except ye turn, and become as little children, ye shall in no wise enter into the Kingdome of Heaven.”

That verse was written right to my heart because I remember how little children are before they get the idea they are something and how simple and attentive they are to the things going on around them. All in all though, I have no regret; I thank God I was weak and and foolish---I thank God Jesus showed me the way of life. Not just this present life but that which is to come. I am promised Salvation from Hell, I don’t want to go there—I don’t want to know what it is like either because I have read what it says in God’s Word about it, and that Everyone that does not believe, and as it says in Revelation 20:15, “And if any was not found written in the book of life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire.” That’s enough for me and the sermons I hear on Hell, Fire, and Brimstone just send shivers up and down my spine. Sometimes we say preachers should preach more on love of God---you know God had a lot of Love for us if He sent His own Son down to Hell in our place that if we believed on Him, we would never have to go! All I can say, is Praise God for His unspeakable Gift and His patience that He kept me on this earth long enough to be saved before I died and was sent to judgement. I could have died at His whim on the instant---now I’m ready should He call, not worthy to stand before Christ on the throne, but saved from His wrath that He tryed so hard for me not to have. Yes, Jesus is real to me! Amen! (Loud too, just like some old brother in the back of the church!) Amen!

It was surely good to hear my folks over the phone last Tuesday night, it was really worth anything it ever took to call you! I think I’ll pull the same thing more often! Incidentally, the cold snap is over now, but, as soon as it was over on Wednesday morning it started to rain and it really rained for about two days straight! Today is a wonderful day and are the type of days that make Florida what it really is! How is it up home? Did it snow after the cold snap? ‘Time’ Magazine says that $50,000,000 worth of fruit produce was lost due to the weather!

I’ve sure been going to a swell little church in the South section of Jacksonville. It is an interdenominational gathering called the Glendale Community Church. The men and women are hard working not only on temporal things by which they might profit by in this old world but put the Lord’s work first and really serve; most of them are country folks and I tell you it’s really a blessing to go out there! Norm is more or less the assistant pastor out there. That’s how I got started going out there.
I just had chow with Joe Manuel. Joe’s my Papagos Indian pal and he is really a testimony for the Lord here on the base. He is from a a tribe near Tuscon, Arizona and he’s the only Christian in his whole tribe, in fact, his mother and father tossed him out when he went to school for the Lord. I guess his folks can’t even speak English. Here on the base it seems that the Lord is really opening the chance to get Bible classes on the go, and Joe and I the Lord willing are going to at last really get on the Ball!

I am supposed to talk to the kids out at this small Methodist church I have been going to for about three months now. I’ve been compiling things all week and have to get them together now.

I do hope you keep up that idea of writing soon because Dad, a letter from you would cheer this old no-good and hardly worth-it hearth of mine to real joy. How’s the horses making out? Did it get cold enough to damage any of the livestock out at the ranch? What was the lowest temperature? Have you seen or heard anything about Jason? Well, I’d better get on the ball and do some research and study---I’ve pulled too many other unprepared speeches before!

I pray the Lord will show unto you His great peace and joy through His precious but sacrificed Son and shower you with His wondrous blessings,

In Him,
Your son,
Stephen
“He that being often reproved hardeneth his neck
Shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy.”
Proverbs 29:1

No comments:

Post a Comment