Thursday, October 14, 2010

March 2, 1947

2 March 1947 Sunday Evening

Dear Dad,

“O Jehovah, thou has searched me and known me:
thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising:
Thou understandest my thought afar off.
Thou searchest out my path and lying down,
And art acquainted with all my ways.
For there is not a word in my tongue,
But lo, O Jehovah, thou knowest all together.
Thou hast beset me behind and before,
And laid they hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me.
It is high, I cannot attain unto it. “ Psalm 139:1-6

Isn’t it marvelous Dad, that no matter what we say or do that God has a plan of that- knows our steps before we even place our feet down on the sod. He knows exactly what we are going to say and wants us so badly to let it glorify Him even when we may be undergoing severe trials and temptations.

Even my best friend on earth doesn’t know me like God does! God knows me from my greatest virtue to my weakest faults and tripping point and as a result He continually places me before the utmost that I might be happy in His love. Yes, as that new song we sing at Youth for Christ goes “I’d rather have Jesus” and Praise the Lord for He did come on this old world to save me and give me real happiness to have the whole time of my life.

I know the Lord has had his hand in every pie and every birthday that I have ever had but this last one where I felt His presence and longed for it so was even more so! Everything seemed to happen on my birthday! First I was ‘warned’ late Thursday night that I was going to CTO school, a consistent prayer that I had offered and that I knew God would answer. He did in a marvelous way. I’m a student now only I expect to go back to TAF after school and make my rate so my address I left as before so as not to confuse. There is about a fifty – fifty chance that I will not go back to TAF, in other words, get shipped out. But whatever it may come out, I’ll be assured that it’s the Lord’s will! Wherever I go it’s where He wants work to be done.
I spent all day Friday moving and late into the evening Friday night getting all squared away. I have more gear to pack than ever now and in case I would ever have to leave here you would get about a car load of gear from me quick like! Friday I got my birthday cake too! I could only sample it as I still have to go easy on the sweets but by that I could enjoy more what the others were as I watch them sink their teeth into that marvelous hunk of cake. You should get mom to cook more of those! You’re missing something! Well, Friday was the most unusual birthday I’ve had yet. Walking along like an old man with a bag tottin’ on his back but it was one I wouldn’t exchange. The remembrance I got from home made it the best blessing and I really want to thank you for your card and your thoughts. It seems strange being as old as 19, and such a child in the things that count. I can boldly say, Praise the Lord, for He is good to a two – bit buy like me.

I received the money mom sent just in time to get the typewriter deal swung around at the same time, in fact, this is the typewriter now! It’s not as nifty as a Royal would be but after I get used to the gismo I’m sure I’m going to like it.
Time is past now and I want to be sure to get the idea of going to school in my mind and that is with the Lord. This school is one of the hardest of aviation schools and I can’t do this immense job of studying by myself at all. So I’ll make your pain short by making this letter short. Pray for me Dad, that I might success and do His will.

May the Lord bless you and keep you in all that you do and say always,

Your son,
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment